Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Creating a background...

I am often asked about my process for creating backgrounds. I wish it was that easy, my process is always changing as I love learning and trying new things.
So, I thought I would share one of my favorite methods. If I'm ready to create and find myself at a loss for where to start, this process never fails...
I begin by choosing my colors, normally 3. I usually end up adding a 4th color or black at some point later in the process. This was done a 9 x 12 watercolor paper.
Several drops of acrylic.
Spread acrylic, I used a dry brush. Let dry.
Added water to acrylic and splattered.
Spread using an old gift card. Let dry.
More splatter. Let dry.
Stamped acrylic using a variety of items and several shades of color.
Bubblewrap.
Foam stamp.

Rubber stamp with ink.
Plastic cap with acrylic.
Repeat, repeat, repeat. Let dry between colors and mediums.

Once complete, I cut this piece into 6 pieces for ATC's and 1 6 x 9 (not shown)
Here are 3 of the ATC's I created using this background...

I stamped a tree on each piece...

I cut houses from vintage & patterned papers...

Added a few embellishments...
Home Sweet Home

Happy creating...

3 comments:

Jean said...

Thank you for sharing this. I am going to try it and see what I come up with. I love your house ATCs!

HugZ, Jean

Shannon said...

Thank you Jean. Please share your art...I'm addicted to making these houses right now, getting ready to do a few on canvas.

Lee Weber said...

Great tutorial!! I stink at backgrounds- it's my weak link.